Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

Finding time to add to the blog has become quite the commodity lately. Nancy and I had decided to wait until the weekends to try new additions to her diet and see if it affected Brooklynn's nursing. Well, this past Friday, Nancy decided to try some cheese. Everything seemed fine until Saturday when Brooklynn became inconsolable. Nancy was starting to feel real disappointed that pizza was beginning to look like it was off the menu for a little while longer. It was hard to believe that it would have just started to affect her 24 hours later. Usually, it happens much sooner than that.

But then, we remembered...Nancy had some ketchup late Friday night with some french fries. Aaarrgghh! Those rotten tomatoes were at it again! By late Saturday afternoon, Brooklynn was settling down again and mostly slept, obviously catching up for time lost to the discomfort she had been feeling earlier. We still celebrated her 3 week birthday at 3:17 p.m. on Saturday, but the best picture we could come up with this week was with her sleeping.

Sunday morning, we planned on attending church for Easter Sunday. It would be Brooklynn's debut. We had an adorable dress that some friends of ours bought for her in Santa Fe, NM (thanks Ronnie & Judy). Nancy and I took turns getting ready so one of us could be with Brooklynn. Nancy nursed Brooklynn just before we left, hoping she would last for the time we'd be at church. We got her all packed up and got to church with 5 minutes to spare. (We'll see how long that streak holds up!).

Through the service, Brooklynn was sleeping and behaving like a perfect angel. About halfway through, she started to squirm and I anticipated that it had been about an hour since she had nursed, so it was about time for her diaper change. So, I took a diaper, some wipes and the changing pad in hand and Brooklynn in her carrier in the other and headed to the men's restroom. As expected, there wasn't a changing table in the men's restroom, so I set up shop on the sink counter. The diaper wasn't too bad. Mostly wet. I got her all changed, packed everything up again, picked Brooklynn up and then Pppbbbhhhtttt!!!! She messed in her diaper already! This time, I could tell it was much more significant than before. I had missed the window by a mere 5 minutes! And, of course, I only brought 1 single diaper with me. Why would I need more than one, I thought. Well, I'm learning....I know, I know.

All prepared to look the fool walking back into the auditorium only to walk back out with another diaper as if to say I didn't know what I was doing, I walked out of the restroom and ran into Nancy coming out of the women's restroom. Hallelujah! I told her I needed an extra diaper. Nancy said she'd get it for me and also that she found out where the cry room was that men were allowed in. Basically, women didn't nurse in that one. I told her I'd meet her there. When we got there, the auditorium lights were dimmed at the time and the lights in the cry room were off while a couple ladies were rocking their babies. So, basically, I was flying blind here and Brooklynn left me a challenge of a diaper to clean up. Between Nancy and I, we peered in close and cleaned her up, put a fresh diaper on, and we were headed back to our seat.

We sat down for a few minutes with Brooklynn now all wide eyed and alert and thinking to herself...Hmmm, I'm well rested and clean now...I'm starting to feel a little hungry again! So, Nancy was headed back out with her this time to find a cry room to nurse. She made it back just as the service was ending. Afterward, everyone wanted to stop by and see her, especially those who hadn't seen us since before the birth.


A little later, we lined up Nancy with a couple other ladies that all had their babies within 2 months of each other. The way they're lined up is actually by due date, but Brooklynn ended up being late and was born last. A fourth baby was born 2 days after Brooklynn, but she was home with her mom this past Sunday. We'll have to get all four together sometime soon and take another picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful! Oh man, I remember those days of not being able to eat anything because of bothering H's stomach. That was awful, and it seemed like all I was eating was bread and chicken for a long, long time!:) (Promise Nancy that it goes fast in retrospect, it just seems like forever right now!)

Nathan said...

You're lucky Brooklynn wasn't "lying in wait" for you to take the diaper off! If you get through the first year without experiencing that, you are a lucky man!

She looks great! (and so do you and Nancy...)

Unknown said...

Such a cute group of babies! They will definitely be getting to know each other as time goes on. It will be great to have some gals to talk to knowing they are going through the same thing at about the same time.

I believe for the first few months I heard every sermon in the cry room either nursing or changing a diaper. For the first six weeks, i would kiss Robby goodbye and just head there first thing. There was no point going in and then leaving. Especially since Rylen would typically nurse for about 30-40 min. After the first 6 weeks, i was able to get through communion before it was off to the cry room to nurse or change a diaper. Now Rylen sleeps through the sermon, but most of the time he will go to sleep without us leaving. So, we are finally able to relax a bit... 9 months later :) HA!